Early career psychological scientists in the UK are encouraged to apply for Future Leadership Fellowships from UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). This fellowship supports researchers with outstanding potential who are transitioning to or establishing research independence, helping to develop their careers.
Future Leadership Fellowships aim to develop, attract, and retain research and innovation talent in the UK and provide sustainable funding for high-performing early career researchers. The fellowship also supports movement between sectors (e.g., academia and business).
UKRI’s solicitation states that applicants must clearly demonstrate:
- how the UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships award will support and enable long-term career goals
- broad knowledge of the area of interest and a compelling vision for the excellence and importance of the proposed research or innovation
- original and ambitious plans/ideas
- that applicants can take a leading role in the research area
- the suitability of the proposed environment(s) for research or innovation and its impact
UKRI will fund fellowships for 4 years, with option to extend for another 3. There is no limit to the requested funding amount, although applicants will have to justify their budget and explain how the requested budget appropriately supports their project.
Researchers in the UK (as well as those coming to the UK from other countries) are eligible to apply. Applications open November 10, 2020 and close December 10, 2020.
Additional funders of this opportunity include the, Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Innovate UK, Medical Research Council (MRC), Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), and the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).