Members of the U.S. Congress are interested in better understanding the effects of social and economic conditions on health. This is an opportunity for APS Members to ensure that psychological science plays a part in future health-related programs and policies.
A bipartisan group of U.S. Representatives has formed the Congressional Social Determinants of Health Caucus, which is a group of nearly 30 Members of Congress who will explore ways to fund new programs and integrate and leverage existing services to improve human health through a better understanding of social factors and the application of that understanding. The caucus has issued a request for information from the community, and APS plans to respond. APS seeks your input as it responds to this request.
Congress’s request for information solicits input on a broad variety of topics, and APS’s government relations team has distilled specific areas of the request for information that are especially germane to APS members. APS requests your input on the following questions, adapted from Congress’s formal call:
- What specific social determinants of health challenges have the most impact on health? What areas have changed most during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What types of gaps in care, programs, and services serve as a main barrier in addressing social determinants of health in the communities you serve?
- Where do you see opportunities for better coordination and alignment between community organizations, public health entities, and health organizations?
- What are the most promising opportunities for addressing social determinants of health and promoting equity for children and families?
- How can Congress best address the factors related to social determinants of health that influence overall health outcomes in rural, tribal and/or underserved areas to improve health outcomes in these communities?
- What research do you conduct that is relevant to social determinants of health?
- Is there any other information you would like to share?
If you would like to share your views or notes on the above questions with APS, please email email@example.com with the subject line “Social Determinants of Health Input,” including your answers to any questions you would like to answer in the email body. Please provide no more than 3-5 sentences in response to any question, including references as necessary. Your notes will potentially inform APS’s response to Congress’s call for input.
Individual APS members are also invited to respond to Congress’s request themselves. You can learn more at the link above.