On behalf of the National Science Foundation (NSF), APS invites you to register as a potential application reviewer for the 2021-2022 Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) competition.
GRFP provides fellowships to outstanding, early career graduate students pursuing research-based masters and doctoral degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and STEM Education. Please visit https://nsfgrfp.org for more details on GRFP. NSF is committed to compiling a reviewer pool comprised of a diverse mix of researchers, scientists, engineers, and educators from a wide range of institutions, geographic locations, and academic disciplines.
Interested reviewers should visit the link below to learn more and to register: https://nsfgrfpreviewers.org
Following are key details related to GRFP Reviewer service:
- The entire review process will be conducted online.
- Reviewers must attend an orientation webinar and be familiar with all reviewer training materials and requirements.
- Reviewers evaluate applications similar to graduate school admission packages. Applications include a personal statement, graduate research statement, educational background information, transcripts, and reference letters.
- Each reviewer will initially be assigned 15-20 applications to review with a potential to receive additional applications for review as needed throughout the review cycle.
- Review of applications will begin in early December 2021.
- Review service culminates with participation in a one day (five-hour) virtual panel in mid-January 2022. (Exact panel date will be specified if invited to serve as a reviewer.)
- Reviewers will receive a flat rate payment of $200 for review and scoring of applications and participation in the virtual panel. Reviewers who are Federal employees, citizens of foreign countries who are not permanent residents, and special visa holders are not eligible for this payment. Reviewers also have the ability to waive receipt of payment should that be required by their employment status or by choice.
Please note the following:
Conflict of Interest Policy: You are deemed to have a conflict of interest if you are an advisor for an applicant or wrote a letter of reference for an applicant. You may serve on the same panel as an application with which you have a conflict of interest; however, you cannot participate in the evaluation or discussion related to any applicant with whom you have a conflict of interest. Except for serving as a reference provider, advocacy for any current GRFP applicant for which you have a conflict of interest will result in immediate removal as a reviewer.
Invitation Status: Registering in the reviewer system does not commit you to serve or guarantee you will be invited to serve as a reviewer. Invitations to serve will be sent beginning in November 2021.
Please share this opportunity to review GRFP applications with your colleagues!