Tampa VA Neuropsychology Postdoc Position
Tampa, Florida, USA
Postdoctoral Neuropsychology Fellowship
• Position: Seeking applicants for our two-year APA-accredited Neuropsychology Postdoctoral Program. One position available annually in the fall.
• Training Setting: A large, modern, teaching facility – a Flagship Veterans Affairs Medical Center with multiple specialized programs (e.g. memory disorder clinic, TBI/Polytrauma rehabilitation, Spinal Cord Injury rehabilitation, general comprehensive rehabilitation, chronic pain, nursing home care unit, etc.) with strong academic affiliations with the University of South Florida and other nearby teaching institutions.
• Goals and Objectives: The primary goal of the program is to train residents who will become licensed psychologists prepared to assume positions in public sector medical center settings serving specialized patient populations with neurological conditions. Residents completing the program should have solid foundational preparation to initiate ABPP certification in Clinical Neuropsychology. The neuropsychology program is designed to be consistent with recommendations of the 1997 Houston Conference for Training in Clinical Neuropsychology. These overall training goals are consistent with our program’s and the VA’s mission to provide training and research opportunities which further the quality clinical care of veterans with these important needs. In pursuit of its primary goal, the training program is designed such that six primary objectives are pursued. Specifically, journeyperson level proficiency is expected in each of 6 primary areas of competency: 1) neuropsychological assessment, 2) psychotherapeutic interventions, 3) consultation/ supervision/teaching, 4) professional and ethical behavior, 5) diversity issues, and 6) scholarly inquiry and critical, empirically-based evaluation of clinical and research activities.
• Research Opportunities: The program emphasizes both clinical activity and research/ supervision training. Research activities will be accomplished within existing clinical research programs, with the expectation that the resident will co-author at least one paper/poster during their two year tenure. Research opportunities are available in: the neuropsychology of dementias and traumatic brain injury, aging, TBI outcomes, test development and test construction, and personality factors related to pain outcomes, among others.
• Emphasis Area: Clinical Neuropsychology (2-year APA Accredited Specialty Fellowship)
• Patient Populations: See website (http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/tampa/)
• Training staff: There are six board certified (5 ABPP-CN and 1 ABPP-RP) neuropsychologists actively involved in the postdoctoral training program. The entire psychology training program has over 60 doctoral staff psychologists representing diverse theoretical orientations, clinical specialties, and interests, many having academic appointments at the University of South Florida. The staff is highly committed to science and values training and trainees.
• Start Date: September
• Stipend: $42,239 1st year; $44,522 2nd year
• Benefits: Health Insurance, 13 days paid vacation and up to 13 days of sick leave.
• Length of program: 24 months
• Application Procedure:
1. Letter of application outlining specific training goals and long term professional goals, and how these goals fit our particular training program.
2. Detailed vita or resume describing background training and experience, description of internship, and other scholarly activity and research.
3. Three letters of recommendation. At least one of these must be from an internship supervisor.
4. A letter (fax or E-mail is acceptable) from the internship Training Director that an APA- accredited internship will be completed by September 1
5. A letter (fax or E-mail is acceptable) from the APA- accredited graduate program Training Director that the Ph.D./Psy.D. has been awarded or that the dissertation defense has been scheduled to occur before September 1
We plan to participate in the APPCN Resident Matching Program. We strongly encourage applications from minority and women candidates. The Federal Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants for postdoctoral fellowships must have attended APA-accredited doctoral programs in Clinical or Counseling Psychology and must have completed APA-accredited internships. All requirements for the doctoral degree must be completed prior to the start of the fellowship year. Persons with a PhD in another area of psychology who meet the APA criteria for re-specialization training in Clinical or Counseling Psychology are also eligible. Applicants must be U.S. citizens. As an equal opportunity training program, the fellowship welcomes and strongly encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, disability or other minority status.
When applying for this position, please mention you saw this ad in the APS Postdoc Exchange.