Open Position: Postdoctoral Fellow supporting graduate student instructors
Austin, Texas, United States
University of Texas at Austin
Contact Molly Hatcher
The Postdoctoral Fellow will perform research on teaching and learning to inform the development of graduate student support programs in the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) at the University of Texas (UT) at Austin, and will assist in disseminating knowledge about effective college teaching practices to graduate student instructors.
• Design, implement, manage, and evaluate various graduate student support programs.
• Train and mentor graduate student instructors, assist with curriculum design for pedagogy courses, and conduct workshops on teaching and learning.
• Supervise graduate student assistants with conducting research, teaching, writing, and prioritizing work responsibilities.
• Collaborate with CTL staff to develop content for online sites that present evidence-based college-teaching practices and information about careers in higher education.
• Collaborate with the Graduate School and departmental graduate coordinators/advisors across campus to assist graduate students in their teaching endeavors and support graduate programs.
• Participate in professional development opportunities that will help build knowledge about best practices and innovative strategies in education and graduate student development, as well as enable opportunities to share our Center’s work with practitioners across the country.
• Earned Ph.D., especially with coursework in areas such as pedagogy, curricular development and evaluation, instructional psychology, and educational psychology
• Teaching experience at the university level
• Experience in conducting research on graduate student development
• Experience working in a center for education development on issues of graduate student development
• A record of conference presentations and publications about teaching and learning in higher education
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Proficiency in computer applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint) and statistical software (e.g., SPSS).
Please send (1) a letter of interest, (2) your current curriculum vitae, (3) and contact information for at least three references to Molly Hatcher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date available: 1 September 2014, possibly sooner
Position duration: 1 year, renewable up to 3 years total
Monthly salary: $4166 negotiable depending on qualifications
Hours per week: 40.00
Hiring department: Center for Teaching and Learning
Molly Hatcher, J.D., Ph.D.
Program Coordinator, Graduate Student Development
Center for Teaching and Learning
The University of Texas at Austin
When applying for this position, please mention you saw this ad in the APS Postdoc Exchange.