Postdoctoral Fellowship in Pyschodynamic Psychology
Garden City, N.Y., New York, United States
Contact Jack Herskovits, Psy.D.
Phone: 516 877 4841
The Derner Institute
For Advanced Psychological Studies
THE POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMS IN PSYCHOANALYSIS AND PSYCHOANALYTIC PSYCHOTHERAPY
Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship
About the fellowship
The Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship provides psychologists with training and professional experience leading to the fulfillment of New York State licensure as a psychologist. Candidates may choose between training in adult psychoanalysis and psychotherapy or in child, adolescent, and family therapy.. This is a half-time (20 hours/week) position and extends over two years. The following four components will comprise the fellowship:
• Direct clinical work with 4-5 psychotherapy patients and approximately one or two clinical intakes per week for which Fellows will be paid on a fee for service basis.
• Attending two years of classes in either the Postgraduate Program in Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy or the Postgraduate Program in Child, Adolescent, and Family Therapy with a full tuition waiver.
• Weekly, psychodynamically oriented individual supervision and monthly group supervision.
• Teaching two classes per semester in the undergraduate psychology or masters-level Mental Health Counseling Program. Fellows will be paid at the University adjunct rate.
Psychology Fellows may also have the opportunity to develop specialized skills working with couples and/or psychotherapy groups. This Fellowship will provide exposure to a variety of theoretical and methodological psychodynamic models through coursework and through work with a variety of supervisors. All experience will count towards New York State licensing requirements. In addition, all classes, supervision, and clinical experience obtained during the Fellowship will be credited towards certification in our programs.
Applicants are required to have earned a Psy.D. or Ph.D. in clinical, counseling or school psychology, to have completed an internship, and to have a limited permit to practice in New York State. Experience working with diverse clinical populations and a strong interest in psychodynamic treatment modalities is preferred.
About The Gordon F. Derner Institute
The Derner Institute at Adelphi University is widely recognized as a pioneer in the study of psychology. The first university-based professional school of graduate and postgraduate psychology in the nation, it continues to be among the most vital university- based educational institutions promoting the study and practice of psychoanalytic psychology.
The Postgraduate Programs provide a rich array of training possibilities and include advanced certificate programs in the following areas:
• Psychoanalytic psychotherapy
• Psychoanalysis and psychotherapy
• Child, adolescent, and family psychotherapy
• Group psychotherapy
• Couple therapy
• Psychodynamic school psychology
• Psychoanalytic supervision
About the Postgraduate Psychotherapy Center
The Postgraduate Psychotherapy Center is the institute’s training clinic as well as a fully-functional community mental health service provider serving clients throughout Nassau and Suffolk counties and New York City. We provide a full array of clinical services including psychotherapy for adults, children, adolescents and families; couples therapy; low cost psychoanalysis; and psychiatric consultation. We serve clients with a diverse range of presenting problems including mood, personality and adjustment disorders. Services are provided on a sliding fee scale to make services affordable for clients from a wide span of the socio-economic spectrum.
Our Diversity Commitment
Our faculty, student body, and course offerings reflect our commitment to diversity. We welcome applicants from all ethnic/racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, and applicants with disabilities.
Applications are due February 25, 2013 and should include:
• Statement of interest and experience with psychodynamic psychotherapy
• Curriculum Vitae
• Transcript sent directly from the university granting the doctoral degree
• Three letters of references
Submit application to:
The Postgraduate Programs in Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy
The Derner Institute for Advanced Psychological Studies
158 Cambridge Avenue – Hy Weinberg Building – P.O. Box 701
Garden City, N.Y. 11530
Attention: Mrs. Marge Burgard
Applicants will be contacted for interviews once we have received the completed application.
Questions can be addressed to:
Jack Herskovits, Psy.D. Director, Postgraduate Psychotherapy Centerjherskovits@adelphi.edu
Mary Beth M. Cresci, Ph.D., ABPP, Director, Postgraduate Programs in Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy—email@example.com
When applying for this position, please mention you saw this ad in the APS Postdoc Exchange.