Post Doc, College of Education
Reno, Nevada, USA
University of Nevada
Postdoctoral Research Associate assists Nevada State GEAR UP to conduct research/evaluation and provide professional development and ongoing mentoring to GEAR UP middle school leadership to (a) incorporate college-readiness into their curriculum; (b) improve their capacity to use data in decision-making regarding student academic progress and curriculum; and © improve vertical articulation between middle and high school and (d) conduct research/evaluation that examines the creation of a college-going culture in middle schools. The Postdoctoral Research Associate reports to Dr. Janet Usinger and is a key member of the GEAR UP College-Readiness and Evaluation Teams. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: map middle school curriculum against the Common Core State Standards; conduct research and evaluation associated with GEAR UP schools and students; develop and implement professional development for GEAR UP school leadership teams; supervise and mentor graduate research assistants; serve as a mentor to GEAR UP middle school leadership; write research papers and conference proposals.
• Doctorate in educational leadership or relevant disciplines, including but not limited to: sociology, political science, educational psychology, etc., earned in the past five years;
• Minimum one year work experience at a secondary school located in an economically disadvantaged community;
• Demonstrated research background in the study of first-generation, college-going students.
• GEAR UP experience;
• Experience utilizing large longitudinal data set(s) and applying multilevel and multivariate statistics;
• Scholarly writing experiences in the following areas: refereed conference proposals and papers, peer-journal manuscripts, and research grant proposals;
• Strong oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to perform in a complex work environment involving the K-12 system, higher education, state and federal government agencies, non-profit organizations, and the private sector.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references and unofficial transcript.
Note to All Applicants
A background check may be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
HR will attempt to verify academic credentials upon receipt of hiring documents. If the academic credentials cannot be verified, HR will notify the faculty member that an official transcript of their highest degree must be submitted within thirty days of the faculty member’s first day of employment.
The University of Nevada, Reno is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its students and employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, creed, national origin, veteran status, physical or mental disability, and sexual orientation. The University of Nevada, Reno employs only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Women and under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
When applying for this position, please mention you saw this ad in the APS Postdoc Exchange.